The Strange Case of Finley Jayne - Kady Cross

Monday, January 23, 2012
Title: The Strange Case of Finley Jayne
Author: Kady Cross
Pages: 78 (Kindle)
Genre: Young Adult/Steampunk
Publication Date: 5/1/2011
Rating: ***
Finley Jayne knows she's not 'normal'. Normal girls don't lose time, or have something inside them that makes them capable of remarkably violent things. Her behavior has already cost her one job, so when she's offered the lofty position of companion to Phoebe, a debutante recently engaged to Lord Vincent, she accepts, despite having no experience. Lord Vincent is a man of science with his automatons and inventions, but Finley is suspicious of his motives where Phoebe is concerned. She will do anything to protect her new friend, but what she discovers is even more monstrous than anything she could have imagined…


This was a pretty decent read. I was struggling with whether or not to give it 2 stars or 3, but decided on 3 in the end just simply because it has gotten me interested to continue reading The Girl in the Steel Corset again, which I had picked up a couple of times but haven't finished.

The Strange Case of Finley Jayne is somewhat of a mini-mystery. We are introduced to Finley - a young woman with some incredible abilities. When we first meet her, she is in the process of being fired from her job for hitting a governess. Eventually, she acquires another job, which is to be a companion to Lady Morton's daughter, Phoebe.

Throughout the story, we are basically led along to discover the true motives of Phoebe's fiance.

One thing I can say I was not crazy about was Finley's constant talk to herself of 'there's something wrong with me, I'm not normal, I have a dark side, blah blah...' It might just be me, but it grated on my nerves a little after the first few comments made about this. In general, I did like Finley, so don't get me wrong there. It was this one minor thing I had issues with.

Overall, this wasn't bad and the good news is that it is free (ebook only). You can pick that up here.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Hmmm, I have Girl in the Steel Corset on my shelf. I wonder if I'll like it or struggle with it. I've never read Steampunk before.

How are you liking Water Wars? I love the cover but I've heard it's a bit agenda pushy.

Samantha said...

I haven't gotten too far into it yet to really be able to say whether it's pushy or not, so we will see. My first Steampunk book was The Iron Thorn, which I loved. It mixed Steampunk, faeries, and other lore in with it. I have The Nightmare Garden (the second book) from Netgalley on my Kindle. I started it, but decided I was in the mood for something else at the time, so I can't say how that one is yet either.

Post a Comment

Thanks for any comments! I always try to comment back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...